Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Hardships of Living Abroad

Yes, living abroad is a once in a lifetime experience... and maybe then again for some people moving abroad is permanent. So I guess it isn't always a once in a lifetime thing. ^_^

Anyways, living abroad isn't always peaches n' cream. There are days you have where you genuinely question what you are doing there and why life is the way it is. I have often thought since moving abroad, what is life going to be like once studying abroad is over?  Will my friends still be there when I return? Will my partner and I have grown apart? Will life back home suck in comparison to living in Japan for the past year? Will the people I love have forgotten all about me?

I have come to learn through much deliberation (with myself of course) that you just can't care what happens. As much as you care about your friends/significant others/family etc, you can't give a shit about the outcome. You just have to stick to what makes you happy and what makes your ticker keep on ticking. If you stay stuck in the thoughts of "what if" or "why" you will always be disappointed. Just remember what you want from the experience and what is your purpose for chartering the unknown.

Also, letting people get you down can be a real drain on the brain ^_^... and of course what I mean by that is make sure no matter what anybody says or tells you, you are awesome. I mean you are living abroad and experiencing a different culture. Most people don't leave their comfort zone or much less move more than an hour away from where they grew up. You will always have this experience to show how you made an effort to live a life in someone else's shoes. Not many people have the courage to get out. I mean sure people travel, but living in a different culture is an entirely separate beast.

After recently watching "10 Things I Hate About You" I re-discovered one of my favorite lines in a movie ever.  "Don't let anyone ever make you feel like you don't deserve what you want".

And with that, I'm out.
--Butterzz--



No comments:

Post a Comment